Open to: All Interested Candidates Position:Translator FSN-08; FP-06 Number: 010-2013 Opening date: February 27, 2013 Closing date: March 13, 2013 Work hours: Full time; 40 hours /week
NOTE: ALL “NOT ORDINARILY RESIDENT” APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
The U. S. Embassy in Yaoundé is seeking an individual for the position ofTranslator.
Basic Function of PositionUnder the supervision and guidance of the Deputy Chief of Mission’s (DCM) Office Management Specialist, incumbent serves as principal Translator for the U.S. Embassy Yaounde. S/He translates documents (between English and French) and serves as an available interpreter. This person’s main priority is to translate all correspondence and remarks for the Ambassador and DCM.
Qualifications Required: Note: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Education: Post-graduate university studies (minimum 2 years) and certification in Translation (English and French).
2. Experience: Three years translation experience in an international institution or any organization that executes international programs/policy (e.g.: NGO or Embassy).
3. Language: Level V (Professional Translator) Speaking/Reading/Writing English and French is required and will be tested.
4. Job Knowledge: Applicant must have a thorough understanding of Cameroonian political, economic and diplomatic practices; knowledge of host country resources for obtaining new information related to politics and economics; and good comprehension of U.S. foreign policy objectives. Applicant must have extensive political, economic, and diplomatic grammar and vocabulary for both English and French; and good knowledge of translation concepts used in rendering accurate and clear translations that capture the meaning and intent of an original document. Applicant must be computer literate in MS Office and Internet and must be able to master SharePoint or similar web-publishing software.
5. Skills/Abilities: Applicant must have good interpretive abilities that will guarantee translated documents capture the meaning and intent of an original document. Applicant must have excellent writing skills; adaptability; organizational skills; and the ability to manage multiple translation tasks in an accurate form and in an expedient manner. Applicant must be able to demonstrate tact and diplomacy in dealing with conflicting demands.
SELECTION PROCESS:When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA:
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
6. The candidate must be able to obtain and hold a Locally Employed Staff security clearance.
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment (DS-174) available online or at the Embassy; or
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see Appendix B); or
3. A combination of both; i.e. Sections 1 -24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work experience attached as a separate sheet;plus
4. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional U.S. Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
6. Additional information on how to apply for a position is available at: http://yaounde.usembassy.gov/job_opportunities.html
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO: Human Resources Office P.O. Box 817, U.S. Embassy Yaoundé Cameroon
POINT OF CONTACT:Telephone: 2220-1500, Ext 4006 FAX: 2220-1500, Ext 4532
CLOSING DATE FOR THIS POSITION: March 13, 2013
The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.